JG-I Group is committed to protecting human health and the environment through compliance with applicable Federal, Provincial and local environmental laws and regulations. JG-I Group will strive to reduce the environmental impact associated with our operations.
We will achieve this commitment through the application of the following environmental principles:
- JG-I Group will comply with all applicable environmental laws and regulations.
- JG-I Group will not create unacceptable new risks to the environment and will strive to minimize risks from existing environmental conditions.
- JG-I Group will strive to minimize the quantity and degree of hazardous waste resulting from its operation.
- JG-I Group will strive to become a leader in respect to environmental protection and enhancement.
This Environmental Policy is applicable to all operations.
It is imperative that JG-I Group conduct all operations in compliance with Federal and Provincial Environmental Law, including the Canadian Environmental Protection Act and the Alberta Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act.
OUR ENVIRONMENTAL APPROACH
Our ultimate aim as JG-I Group is to cause “Zero Harm” to the environment in all locations where we conduct our operations. To achieve this goal, JG-I Group continuously strives to prevent and lessen any negative environmental impact as a result of our work.
PREVENTION OF ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS
Hazards to the Environment caused by activities must be controlled in the same manner as any other job site hazard.
JG-I Group Environmental Impact Controls which may be considered in project planning are as follows:
- Maintain company vehicles and equipment as per Manufacturer’s Specification for better efficiency.
- Idle vehicles and equipment for 15 minutes or less in cold weather conditions only or as per manufacturer specifications. Warm weather idling is not necessary and is to be avoided.
- Purchase environmentally friendly products when practicable (e.g. latex instead of oil)
- Site recycle programs (e.g. garbage separation of metal, wood, concrete)
- Calculate and order materials in reasonable quantities to eliminate waste; consider sharing extra resources with other projects.
- Shut down or limit energy use during non-working hours.
- Conservation of water where possible (e.g. recycling water from hydro tests or sweeping instead of hose washing.)
JG-I Group has created and implemented Safe Work Practices and Safe Job Procedures directly related to the handling, sorting and disposal of waste. These Waste Management SWJP and SJP are to be abided by and followed on all worksites by all workers and sub-trades involved.
SITE-SPECIFIC ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT
Site-specific Environmental Impact Assessment may need to be developed for eco-sensitive areas or in accordance with Federal and Provincial Government Standards and Community Safety.
COMPLIANCE WITH INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS
ISO 14001 is an internationally agreed standard that sets out the requirements for an environmental management system. It helps organizations improve their environmental performance through more efficient use of resources and reduction of waste, gaining a competitive advantage and the trust of stakeholders.
JG-I Group implements a Management System, certified by QAS according to Standard ISO 14001:2015 (Certificate No. CEN1072).
We conduct internal environmental assessments in each operation to ensure we comply with appropriate requirements. Subcontractor and vendor operations are also included in our assessments. For each subcontractor and supplier, a preliminary environmental survey is conducted during the vendor selection process and at the start of operations. For each selected vendor, follow-up-assessments are performed during the subsequent steps of operations. Environmental performance is a required criteria for all subcontractor and supplier performance evaluations.
ENVIRONMENTAL EMERGENCY & INCIDENT MANAGEMENT
We follow a strict set of procedures regarding our emergency response to environmental incidents. We consider environmental incidents as opportunities to determine their causes and make sure they never happen again. For this purpose, we examine and report every environmental incident, no matter its scale, in detail. The information we learn following the investigation process are shared with all project management and field teams as well as corporate management to make sure significant actions are taken at all levels of the company.
In the case of soil being contaminated, appropriate remediation practices are applied. All our excavations are done in accordance with project specific excavation plans which consider the type and condition of soil.